Thursday, October 6, 2011

White Chicken Chili

     Since it has been stormy, dark and dreary all day I decided for dinner I wanted to make something new and in the line of comfort food.  I pulled out the trusty Holbrook cookbook and found this recipe that Aunt Ann submitted.  It fit the bill perfectly.  I'm looking forward to the leftovers already. She used 1/2 cup butter. When I cook I always replace at least 1/2 the butter with olive oil.  It raises the burning point and is healthier but still gives you a nice buttery taste. I also get a little skimpy on the measuring.  I know we were a taught to make a roux with equal parts butter and flour (i.e. 1 Tbsp. butter with 1 Tbsp. flour and then mix in 1 cup milk) but I have found that I can make it with about 1/2-2/3 the fat.  You have to stir a little harder to get it mixed in but it works and makes it a little lower fat.
     I also put the sour cream as a little dollop on the top of each bowl for decoration instead of mixing it in.

White Chicken Chili

1 lg. sweet onion, chopped
1 lg. garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup flour
1 cup chicken broth
2 cups milk
2 medium cans white beans, rinsed and drained
6 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
1-1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
2 (4 oz) cans diced green chilies, drained
1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese
1 Tbsp. Tabasco
salt and white pepper to taste
1/2 cup sour cream

In skillet, cook onion and garlic in 1 tbsp. butter and 1 Tbsp. olive oil until soft.  In a large pot, melt remaining butter and oil over low heat and whisk in flour to make a roux.  Cook while stirring for about 3 minutes. Don't brown.  Stir in onion and garlic mixture and gradually add broth and milk, whisking until mixture comes to a boil. Turn down heat to simmer until mixture is thick, about 5 minutes.  Stir in all remaining ingredients and cook over med-low heat for 20 minutes. Stir in sour cream and serve.

*If too thick add milk or broth
*Good served with cornbread

No comments:

Post a Comment